If you’ve only recently developed a sudden fascination towards make-up, you’ve probably asked this to yourself more than once: What items should I buy?
Putting up a make-up kit is pretty simple, actually. You only need a few items in your bag for a basic make-up kit. Over time, when you’ve discovered more make-up techniques, your collection will grow in number and colors. This could be pretty exciting but also quite confusing, especially because there are more than a million cosmetic products out there!
You don’t have to worry much though. A basic make-up kit simply has to cater to these aspects on your face – eyes, lips and skin. So where should you start?
The eyes are the windows to the soul, they say and perhaps that’s true because most of the time if you have attractive eyes, people tend to be drawn to you. Needless to say, the eyes should be highlighted when applying make-up. The following make-up items should be in your make-up kit to achieve that Hollywood-worthy peepers:
- Eyeshadow – Eyeshadow can work wonders on your eyes. When applied correctly, it can make your eyes look bigger and brighter. Before applying eyeshadow, you first have to know the shape of your eye so you can learn how to play up with eyeshadows and use it to your advantage. The different types of eye shapes are: monolid, double lids, hooded eyes, almond eyes, upturned eyes, downturned eyes, deep-set eyes, protruding eyes, close-set eyes and wide-set eyes.
When it comes to eyeshadows, you can choose either cream, loose or pressed eyeshadows. Pressed eyeshadows are easy to blend, cream eyeshadows are great as base color while loose eyeshadows are hyperpigmented and can be hard to deal with, especially for a newbie.
- Eyeliner – Applying eyeliner adds definition to your eyes. Unfortunately, this is something that needs trial and error (not to mention, a steady hand). There are three common types of eyeliners out there: the pencil eyeliner, liquid eyeliner and gel eyeliner. Each one has different effects.
If your hand is shaky when applying eyeliner, try doing it while sitting down and your elbows placed on a steady surface. Then, stick you little finger out and rest it on our cheek while you hold the eyeliner with your other fingers. The little finger will then act as a stabilizer for you to apply eyeliner properly.
- Eyebrow liner or brow liner – Defined eyebrows are very trendy right now. In fact, it’s so trendy, that a new term/ slang was born to define perfectly shaped eyebrows – on fleek.
For make-up newbies, the most important things to remember when applying eyebrow liner is to choose a color that matches your hair. A common mistake people make is using an eyebrow liner that doesn’t match their hair color, which makes their eyebrows look awkward and unnatural.
Also, when applying eyebrow liner, do it in near a window or a spot in your house where there is ample lighting. Don’t overdo you eyebrows or you might end up looking like a clown.
Another important thing that you should focus on is the lips. Of course, you may buy as many lip products as you can but basically, there are four popular lip products being sold in the market: lipstick, lip balm, lip gloss and lip creams.
Lipstick, lip gloss and lip creams are basically related. They just differ in texture. In choosing a lipstick color, you have to go for one that matches your skin tone best.
For people with fair skin, lipsticks that are in the shades of orange often looks great. It brightens up anyone’s face without overdoing it. Light browns, nudes and pinks also look great on fair-skinned people.
Meanwhile, reds, browns, fuschias and peaches look best on people with medium-toned skin. Warm colors such as bronze and copper and cranberries and pinks work great on them too. As for people with dark skin, dark colors would be perfect. Ruby, plum and other wine-colored hues look great on them.
The skin is another factor that you shouldn’t ignore. To truly complete your make-up kit, you should be armed with products that cater to your skin’s needs. Some of the items you should be shopping for are: concealer, foundation, moisturizer, powder, blush and BB cream.
- Concealer – As its name suggests, concealers hide certain spots and blemishes that you might have. It could be a dark spot, redness, pimples, blackheads and even shallow scars.
- Foundation – Foundation evens out your complexion.
- Moisturizer – This should be applied on your face before any other make-up product. It prevents dryness, scaly skin and helps keep make-up stay on your face longer.
- Powder – As you may know, powders prevent oiliness and help you look fresh.
- Blush – Blush adds color to your cheeks, bringin a certain glow to your appearance.
- BB Cream – This is one a popular trend nowadays and a product that originated from Korea. This works like a concealer, foundation, moisturizer and powder all in one. If you don’t have a lot of blemishes on your face, a BB cream should be enough for your daily make-up.
Make-up is fun, especially once you get to know the different uses for different products and see its effects on your appearance. Always remember to buy products that you trust and never go to sleep with make-up on because it could damage your skin in the long run.